Telemedicine Visual Field Test for Glaucoma Screening
Glaucoma is an eye disorder in which the optic nerve of the affected eye(s) suffers permanent damage, and progressing to complete blindness if untreated.It is a major cause of preventable progressive blindness. Of every 30 people over the age of 50, one will be affected by glaucoma, nearly half of those do not know they have the disease.Most patients with early glaucoma have normal vision and enjoy a healthy and productive lifestyle despite advancing disease.
Often, but not always, glaucoma is associated with increased intraocular pressure (IOP) in the eye. The term 'normal' or 'low tension glaucoma' is suggested for the typical visual field test defects when associated with a normal or low IOP. Raised intraocular pressure is a significant risk factor for developing glaucoma (above 21 mmHg or 2.8 kPa). One person may develop nerve damage at a relatively low pressure, while another person may have high eye pressure for years and yet never develop damage. Visual field loss loss often occurs gradually over a long period of time, and is recognized only when the disease is quite advanced.
Visual field test is a very important exam in the diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma. This 5-minute test is a virtual perimetry system. It is a powerful tool for self-care and will help you become aware of any significant defects in your visual field. You can use it to test your visual fields at your home computer, on any standard computer monitor. It allows self-testing and is convenient, fast and easy to use. It can reveal the first signs of glaucoma and will help you detect visual fields defects early but you have to practice to get the test right.
The software uses the web camera as a virtual "light-meter" and allows you to email your test results to your doctor. The purpose of the test is only to detect signs of visual field loss before it is too late for the vision. The test is not a substitution for a medical exam. The result should be interpreted by an ophthalmologist.
.NET 3.5 Windows 10
You can download the software here.
The software is tested with Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Laptop Computer perimetry for glaucoma screening. Wu JX, Wormald R, Fitzke F, et al. (1991): Invest. Opthalmol. Vis. Sci. 32: (suppl) 810.
- Examination Methods for glaucoma Surveys. Quigley HA, West SK, Munoz B, Mmbaga BBO, Glovinsky Y. (1993) Arch. Ophthalmol 111: 1409-1415.
- Wall M, Brito C, Kutzko K. (1997): Motion perimetry: properties and results. Perimetry Update 1996/1997, Proceedings of the Xth International Perimetric Society Meeting 21-33.
- Brusini P, Salvetat ML, Parisi L, Zeppieri M. (2005): Probing glaucoma visual damage by rarebit perimetry. Br J Ophthalmol. 89: 180-184.
- Visual field perimetry on a small computer screen. US Patent No. 499852, Issued on 1996, October 15.
- Ianchulev T, Pham P, Makarov V, Francis B, Minckler D. (2005): Peristat: a computer-based perimetry self-test for cost effective population screening of glaucoma. Curr Eye Res.30:1-6.
- Computerized visual field test for children using multiple moving fixation targets. Johnston SC, Damato BE, Evans AL, Allan D. (1989): Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing 27: 612-616.
- The Arden Screening Test. TC Yu, F Falcao-Reis, W Spileers and GB Arden (1991) Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Vol 32: 2779-2789.
- The OPHTHIMUS system Frisén L (1993): High-pass resolution perimetry. A clinical review. Doc Ophthalmol 83: 1 - 25.
- Use of a portable head mounted perimetry system to assess bedside visual fields. D Hollander, N Volpe, M Moster, G Liu, L Balcer, K Judy, and S Galetta (2000) Br J Ophthalmol. October; 84(10): 1185-1190. doi: 10.1136/bjo.84.10.1185.
- VIP Virtual perimetry test using virtual reality glasses.
- Helen K. Li, Rosa A. Tang, Katherine Oschner, Chris Koplos, James Grady, William J. Crump. Telemedicine Journal. September 1999, 5(3): 283-290.
- A new visual field test on a personal computer for glaucoma screening : A comparison with the Humphrey visual field. Annals of ophthalmology. Glaucoma 1996, vol. 28, no2, pp. 88-92
- A Computer-based Diagnosis System for Early Glaucoma Screening. Xiaoyang Song; Keou Song; Yazhu Chen. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2005. IEEE-EMBS 2005. 27th Annual International Conference of the Volume Issue, 17-18 Jan. 2006 Page(s):6608 - 6611.
- Computerized Video Screen Perimetry. Neri Accornero, MD; Alfredo Berardelli, MD; Giorgio Cruccu, MD; Mario Manfredi, MD. Arch Ophthalmol 1984;102:40-41.
- Early detection of glaucoma by means of a novel 3D computer-automated visual field test. Paul P Nazemi , Wolfgang Fink, Alfredo A Sadun, Brian Francis, Donald Minckler. Br J Ophthalmol 2007;91:1331-1336 doi:10.1136/bjo.2007.116103.
- A comparison of tangent screen, Goldmann, and Humphrey perimetry in the detection and localization of occipital lesions. Agnes M.F Wong, MDa, James A Sharpe, MD. Ophthalmology, Vol. 107, Issue 3:527-544 (March 2000).
- AN IDEAL TEST OBJECT FOR THE TANGENT SCREEN. LARS FRISÉN. Acta Ophthalmologica, Vol 52 Issue 3:373 - 377 (2009) .